Sunday, April 7, 2013

Rear hubs, front callipers

I have been undecided about whether to send rear hubs off for refurb or do myself. There are some relative complexities when putting bearings in to ensure the correct amount of float - i.e. play in the bearings to ensure they are running at optimal pressure, not too tight or loose.
There's videos on youtube showing how and plenty documented too.

I looked at costing up all the parts for the bearings etc to do the refurb and realised it was going to be cheaper to send to Wards to get a better result! The final thing that did it was whilst it took alot of thumping just to free one hub from it's bearings I then I discovered that someone in the past had clearly mashed one of the wheel studs and instead of replacing with another stud, had welded a bold through from the other side of the hub!

I can't imagine what this did to the balance of the rotating assembly but in the end speaking to Ward's they could resolve relatively easily...

Given that I would be sending off to Wards I sent the front callipers too.



No comments:

Post a Comment