Saturday, July 13, 2013

A new decision...

The transmission dimensions have proven to be challenging. My original view when I bought the engine was that I would change it to a manual. GM recommends that displacement on demand is not used with a manual transmission due to the fact that they could not get the manual transmission to absorb the feeling when the engine switches from 8 to 4 and back to 8 cyclinder mode again.
Looking at the costs it was something I was prepared to do from getting the engine at a good price... however, the more I've thought about it the more I wanted to actually make the auto work.
Reasons being
1. The engine and transmission are in their OEM delivered state. Why mess with that if I don't have to.
2. I like the idea of the displacement on demand in a Cobra... perhaps it's a perverse wish but I feel the need to minimise the fuel burning when not required.
3. The new 6 auto speed box will give easy driving on local roads around me which are prone to traffic jams daily but will still allow hooning about on the open road.
4. There's a reason why the US speed fraternity put auto transmission boxes in their drag / street racers. (Strength and durability being two of them)
5. It has electronics built in for electronic driver shifting... flappy paddles on a Cobra I'm sure will have many purist replica affecionados rolling their eyes and shunning me but I'm fine with that.

The downsides are that it's a complicated configuration, not been done with this config in the UK to anyone's knowledge and therefore not much local support. And finally, the transmission is a challenge to fit in the Gardner Douglas...

Which brings me to the main point. I have decided to change manufacturer. So I'm no longer building a GD but an AK. Not going into massive amount of reasons here but I think it will be easier and more flexible for me in the long run.

So, a slightly revised date for kit build - I should hopefully take delivery of chassis and body first week of October.

There is still much to prepare for before then.

Engine harness and Transmission controller need sending off to the US to have some repair / rework done. The harness needs some extraneous wiring removing and the transmission controller needs re-calibrating to a different setup. More on that later.



No comments:

Post a Comment