Saturday, December 1, 2012

Back online and on the job

Summer most horrible is what I should call it. In short I was ill, am now better, onwards.

Have since learnt from research and talking to others that Jaguar stub axles all had movement from the front bearings and the grooves / wear mentioned in previous post are characteristic of this. Those go onto the gash pile and two more items added to the shopping list.

I am making progress though. Found a friendly local Jaguar independant service chap who undid the castle nuts and pushed out the drive shafts from my rear hubs. Well, I say pushed out... I failed even with about 4ft of leverage with my whole body weight to shift either nuts - after months of wd40 action (was all I've been good for for 4 months). His hammer action air spanner thing undid them in seconds. Luckily not many around to witness my embarassment.

Of course, all the tails I've read about these things being locktited in and needing 10 ton presses to shift them seemed redundant as I watched the first driveshaft fall out of the hub with no help other than gravity...

Thankfully the second lived up to promise and it was suggested I remove myself and return later after the appropriate amount of persuasion had been applied.

Job done and I now have separated shafts and hubs. Time for more deconstructing of UJs.


Others doing this often send the rear hubs off to be reconditioned separately as they have very carefully applied measurements to endfloat to ensure correct bearing loading. I shall think about whether to do myself - after all, it's only a bit of work with a feeler guage isn't it?

Mind you - noting the amount of crud on the UJ shown bottom of photo above, I've had two circlips break on me and hit my forhead so far - maybe I should outsource the lot?

No comments:

Post a Comment