Monday, December 17, 2012

Sheep Dip?

Bilt Hamber. deox-C. http://www.bilthamber.com/
Shameless plug I know but absolutely brilliant stuff for disolving rust. Here's how it works:

1. Clean as much grease / crud off metal bits by hand
2. Use suitable degreasant with boiling hot water (don't inhale fumes) to remove grease film
3. Mix up deox-c as per Bilt Hamber instructions in large recepticle. I used hot tap water with a bit of kettle hot too
4. Sheep dip rusty bits for as long as they need, occasionally agitate with a brush.










The result: Clean and shiny metal bits, black and filthy sheep dip.

Best news is that it's perfectly safe to dispose of down the drain and it has a pleasant metallic tang smell as it works, along with lots of tiny bubbles as it disolves the rust. I have no idea how it works, chemistry was not my strong point at school but I have more things lined up for treatment like the barbeque grill, gardening tools and anything else rusty I can lay my hands on!



Finally a bit more work with a wire brush in an electric drill and shiny bits are the result!

I am starting to worry that I'm finding this cleaning derusting process all a bit too satisfying - I shall be sorry it's over as it is really quite cathartic to just focus totally on these bits of metal and rewarding to know that effectively I'm recycling what would have been otherwise scrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment