Sunday, April 30, 2017

Fog and Reverse Lights

Welcome back readers... is it nearly a year since the last post? Possibly. I have not been idle during this time, more getting on with things and then not wanting to sit down and write about it.     However, having been sent on a mission abroad with work (read training course in th US) involving a long flight, and two weeks of hotel downtime in the evenings I thought this was the ideal to get my act together and catch up on the news.   So, we last left it that I was fiddling about with electrics and general wiring stuff on lights.     The next not insignificant task was to sort out the rear fog light and reverse lights positions. Some people go for a more temporary clamping of them to the nudge bar in a more relaxed manner, some take drastic steps and mould them into the rear vallance itself  by cutting the GRP, and then building up a profile with filler and shaping by sanding... after my trepidation with cutting the (not much seen) sections for heater and tunnel you'd be right in thinking that the latter option is not for me!   In addition, given how cavalier other every day drivers are towards not bumping their cars in car parks, the decision is relatively simple. Nudge bars both front and rear, and permanent mountings for the fog and reverse light on the nudge bar. This allows the hight and position of them to be compliant with IVA and as I'm mounting them between the bars, they will be reasonably discreet and protected.
 
Timber mock up time - making stuff in wood to test the practicality of mounting design makes life so much easier. Then I created some stainless mounting blanks and then using the bench grinder to round them off to suit the profile of the nudge bar section. Of course, more stainless polishing was required.
I made a jig to help with the next bit - welding the lugs to the stainless wasn't going to be that easy. On reflection I wished I'd practiced a bit more but the end result worked out ok once cleaned up. Next its just a case of locating where the cables will feed through the edge of the boot /boot floor join and that job is finished.  

No comments:

Post a Comment