Sunday, November 10, 2013

Brake lines

Whilst I think about a couple of other tasks I thought I would look at the next 'big' item which is fitting the brake lines. The AK manual gives a good indication of where each of them should run, navigating the major chassis lines.
The key thing about bending this stuff is not to kink or pinch it. I thought about purchasing a brake pipe bending too but the metal is soft enough that with a bit if care it's not needed.

The two main rules are to use something to help form the bend. Aerosol cans from wd40, calliper paint etc plus round bar off cuts make perfect mandrels. There are tools but all the hand ones give is a form to bend around and a lever to apply force.

The other important part is to consider the impact of work hardening - so when bending do it slowly rather than faster as this will help the metal not to work harden giving it a much longer life.

I used masking tape to help locate the bend points from my previously made straight lines.



Others I know use plumbers solder as a pattern making device and then bend from that. So far I've found measure bend  and offer up as a repeated two step process is fine too.



Trial fit and I'm happy with that. Need to order some socket cap bolts to fit the pipe fittings to the chassis.
IVA requires these to be a maximum distance apart. I will be doing closer together to ensure safe anchoring and a pass on that front.

I will have to pop the engine out to the main line that runs to the rear as it's in the way of drilling fixings right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment