Sunday, November 3, 2013

Shocking

Ready for a short, sharp, shock?
Actually it was more of a protracted long drawn out affair.
Now I have the nearside driveshaft camber sorted and the outer shaft nuts torqued up to 107lbs ft it seemed sensible to look at the coil over shock fitment.
 
For me this is when the chassis starts looking more like a car when the big springs are on.
Unlike the jag fitment which uses different option at the top the AK uses an extra shock shaft identical part to the one which passes through the middle of the wishbone for the bottom anchor point.
 
Once again though I come up against the evils of powder coat where you don't want it... Inside the upper shaft tube. Now wary of the vice like grip of this stuff I proceeded with caution cleaning the tube out thoroughly to the point where a few good taps with the rubber mallet and the upper shaft is in.
 
Then it's a case of just lining up the lower wishbone with the coilovers which I have set to a starting position of 20 clicks off full plus for the shocker and the bottom edge of the spring nut is 85mm from the centre of the shaft hole. This is Jon's starting config. No doubt I will be adjusting more as in go along one the springs have settled and I start looking at the ride height.
I haven't put the bolts on yet as I want to grease inside the bushes and the lower shaft itself as I forgot in my excitement of getting them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment