Monday, June 23, 2014

Fuel sender and gasket

Take one of these

Fuel sender. Measures something like 33 ohms empty and 240ohms full. 
Measure depth of tank and then draw out profile on a piece of paper. Then I used some masking tape on the wire to show approximate level of where the float needed to be. It's secured to the wire by just circling around a narrow bar to make a spring loop which then slots into the recess on the float.
Deliberately I left the float position so that it would be more accurate measuring the low point than the high - whilst the tank will register full for a bit after filling I don't mind the optimistic feeling that will give me that I'm driving economically. Ho ho.

Further more, the arm is angled to deliberately sit about an inch off the bottom of the tank. This means with a bit of maths I should be able to work out exactly the remaining volume when the needle is on "E" and therefore how many miles I have left if petrol stations are hard to come by. Nifty eh?
So above is the inch safety margin on empty.


Then using some of this stuff - special gasket paper a set of compasses and a leather hole punch device kindly lent by a neighbour 



And we have a gasket made. I won't bolt it in to the tank yet but just a case of some blue hylomar gasket seal on either side and around the holes and we have a sealed sender.

Amazingly all the holes line up!

No comments:

Post a Comment