Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A little bit of flare?

Terrible pun but what do you expect? So whilst I'm waiting for things to happen and parts to arrive I'm looking for things to do. Luckily in their build manual AK give the lengths of all the brake pipe sections required. 
Having been kindly lent a professional flaring machine (£92 vs the £16-22 eBay job) I thought it was time to tackle a subject that I had been a bit wary of.
 
One machine with 3/16 pipe die loaded. The key here is follow the instructions. Rigorously.
Use a pipe cutter to cut 90 degree length. I cut all mine an inch or so long deliberately so if I muffed up a flare I could easily redo. 
Deburr the inside of the cut. An 8 mm drill bit is good for this and then file a 45 degree chamfer with a flat file around the outside edge of the cut. See photos below.



Then depending on whether it's a double flare (female funnel shaped) or single bubble or male flare required, start flaring.

Using the correct die and the pipe inserted to the correct place, I used a bit of red rubber grease to help with lubrication (it's compatible with brake fluid) and then pull the handle!




Part formed as an example of how the dies work.




And a finished male end. Clearly remember to put all the pipe fittings on before flaring the other end. I had a couple of close calls with that.




And a female double flare. They en up looking not perfect to the eye but however doing a little test of fitting a joint and tightening down you can see how the soft copper deforms to make the appropriate tight seal so not too worried about this at the moment. All will be tested thoroughly before going on the public highways.
I should point out that my pipe is BS marked and this is approved to pass the IVA test.



Just need somewhere to store this lot so I don't damage them before putting on car.








No comments:

Post a Comment