Sunday, July 13, 2014

Bits and bobs

Lots of little post start up jobs to complete before I can seriously look at getting the body on.

Exhaust needs sealing up - the headers to main tubes first
Using Holts Firegum exhaust sealant that goes semi hard when heated up. Smear a good section over the male pipe being careful not to check any down the tube or on top edge as I don't think the cats will like it.
With the exhaust clamps tightened up a little bit squeezes through the petals showing what I think is the right amount to get a good seal.
Both sides are done. 
I'm not doing the other join yet until I've finished fiddling around with the fuel line cover under the differential at the rear. The standard AK one isn't fitting well - not an issue with the part more that my unique configuration is causing non standard fitment issues. So I've mocked up in cardboard the new shape / profile and will send the old one back to AK with the mock up to get a custom one made. Whilst it's not an IVA must have, the fuel line does pass less than an inch away from the exhaust line at the junction with the swirl pot so I would rather have some shielding in there.
See photo of old one.

Other tasks done.
Air intake. I've cleaned up the slot in the intake tube and made the bolt holes and threads for the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). 


I've modified the bung to take countersunk bolts as opposed to the normal method of welding on.
I've made a temporary rubber grommet which I might actually remake as a permanent part - originally I was going to use araldite metal bond to permanently fix the bung onto the stainless but now I'm thinking a rubber grommet or gasket will be more forgiving on the fitting.
MAF in situ. 

Next up the final hose clamp for fuel lines. Now I have resolved leaks, know that adequate fuel is getting to the engine  even with only a couple of litres in the tank there's enough gravity feed I can make the fuel lines a permanent fix. Look at where they run over the chassis rail and under the differential I've managed to reuse a hole that also anchors the nearside rear brake line. 

A longer bolt and good planning means the brake line is attached followed by fuel feed and return line and importantly the fuel lines cannot chafe on the chassis rail, nor on the brake line and all is secure. Hopefully leading to a happy IVA tester.




It is going to be interesting getting to this bolt if I ever have to change the lines once the body is on!



No comments:

Post a Comment