Sunday, July 13, 2014

It's still alive...

Clearly rendered speechless by the fact the engine actually started, the last post was a bit lacking in content.
So, review time. The engine starts, it runs. There's one code in the computer at the moment which indicates too higher voltage from the oil pressure sensor. There is oil pressure so I'm not too worried at the moment - I've got a mechanical oil pressure sensor to double check - just waiting for an adapter to arrive. Then probably a case of getting a new sensor. That it in the below photo with the blue grey locking clip.


Whilst we are on that photo I also rigged up the brake vacuum booster... Above shows the vacuum connector from the intake plenum, I've shortened the feed hose as now the engine is in a right hand drive car the line needs to double back on itself. From there it passes through a sensor and then to the brake booster hose. I've borrowed a bit of the old transmission cooler line to jury rig. 

I'm pleased to say success! The temporary 'pedal lever' I set up takes a full handed push to brake the front wheels. With engine running it just takes two fingers. Nice and light. Very happy with that!


Other things tested - my oversized fan was wired up, warmed the engine up and at 94 degrees c the fan kicked in on the normal / slow speed setting for about 45 seconds till the temp dropped to 92. I'd say that was a success but need to check what the programmed fan on low and high speed actually are and what sort of temperature I should be aiming for.
The one challenge is that the transmission cooler is temporarily suspended behind the fan - it really needs moving in front of the actual radiator so some brackets need fabricating for that. I'm also goin to spray it an aluminium colour to blend into the radiator.
Finally transmission fluid was set. This a convoluted and painful process. There's no dipstick for it. The car has to be level, the transmission warmed up to between 30 and 50 degrees. Any higher or lower will result in the wrong level as the fluid expands or contracts based on temp and therefore potentially shorten the life of the transmission. The final part of this is having to run the trans through all the gear selection positions.
So duly levelled and warmed on axle stands I then had to slither underneath whilst the engine is running to open the fluid level drain plug. Let fluid run out till it drips - if no fluid drips out then fill some more till it does. On third attempt it was right so the plug goes back in and torqued up to the right spec. This should not need looking at for 50k miles now. 
Another job ticked off the list.

Whilst we had it running I wanted to check whether the tap shift electronic gear change was working. I put into sprit mode but not sure if it's actually working. As the drive shaft isn't in and clearly not pushing the wheels against the road I think the transmission is not getting the right feedback (newtons 2nd? law of an action having an equal and opposite reaction) and that's not being passed through to the engine either so it could be that. Will have to wait until we are on the road to test.

In normal drive mode the gears definitely changed and the speed registered car speed from calculated values so that is all good!

One small fuel leak to resolve - I had only done the feed from tank to first filter up by hand so once done up properly is fine.

Also, the lower return hose from radiator had a small drip too so I've nipped he clamp up a bit more. I will get another on there to double up and enable me to tweak the positions a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment