Sunday, October 12, 2014

A confession.

Ok... Have a look at the photo below and guess what's wrong with the picture.

If it's not obvious then have a look at the next one.


Or the next one


At this point you might have made out the letters D followed by R on a round shiny tube located between the engine mount and rubber bobbins.
Let me spell the rest of the word. 

"Draper 17 mm"

Yes. Somehow I have managed to leave a 17mm socket on the end of one of the engine mount bolts from when I torqued them up. What a total muff up! How did that happen? I remember at the time wondering where it had got to and ultimately thinking I'd thrown it out by accident so I bought another one.

It wouldn't poke out although it's loose meaning that nothing has been damaged as the engine isn't resting on it thank goodness.

So after feeling like a complete muppet for a couple of days I figured out a way of easily getting it out.

Loosen off the offside upper mount bolts on the bobbins but leave them on, trolley jack under the offside part of the sump and raised it up 5mm. This was enough to poke the socket out with the end of a long crowbar.


There you have the culprit above. All out, no drama. Thankful no engine lift out required.

No comments:

Post a Comment