Saturday, October 11, 2014

Progress or anti progress?

Not sure that's a real term but for the life of me at the moment I cannot think any better.
The cladding in the engine bay has been difficult. However Jon at AK kindly sent me some better drill bits that really helped overcome the work hardening issue I was making for myself.

And with one side done I have a comedy fairground 'hall of mirrors'. 

More annoying is I turn round for 5 minutes and this happened. The cheek of it...it's not on my drill but is on the back of the offside panel I was about to fit


Having learnt from the nearside that I wasn't brutal enough on the bending into shape I took a firmer stance and got the offside a much better fit before starting on the drilling and rivets.


As a result this side took 35 minutes instead of 5 hours.





I drilled double holes and fed cable ties through the wings before fitting the cladding so that the wire looms to front lights can easily be attached.


You can just see one at the top of the wheel arch above. Now just to file off the ends of the rivets.

But this looks like progress I hear you say. We'll eventually yes however I've measured between the footwells in the engine bay and discovered that the body will not fit on over the exhaust headers whilst they are on the engine.
Given I've sealed them on this is a pain as I need to take them off, file off the hardened sealant and then redo once the body is on.



No comments:

Post a Comment