Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Master brake cylinder testing

Now I've read many say that one should just have faith in your basic ability to do up some brake unions and if there are any leaking joints when the body is on (the brake master cylinder is fixed into the body before it goes on so difficult to test in that configuration unless the body is stored next to the chassis. Mine is 50 feet away!)

Whilst I have some faith in my ability I have less trust that I know how the Rover 200 series master cylinder works so I'd rather get to the bottom of that now.

To that end I have made a plywood bracket to fit the master cylinder in a near enough approximation to its final position so I can test both the cylinder and and the brake system before fitting the body.




Finding the rear part of the dual cylinder not working to start with I separated it from the big vacuum disc to clean out some more.

Flushing brake fluid through does the trick, all the gunk is cleared and both pistons pump well.
The reservoir master cylinder is reattached to the vacuum chamber.

The last thing before filling up with fluid is creating remote bleeds. Kits are available but not really necessary, just some more brake pipe and a couple more unions with a bit of thought to routing and I have remote bleeds available the moment either rear wheel is removed.

Above rear offside. Below nearside.

Once I'm happy that the system has integrity I will attach these as per the rest of the brake lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment